Cryptic is a Scottish charity who’s primary aim is to support emerging artists present quality, innovative work which crosses creative boundaries in music, visual art, film and new media. This in turn inspires a wide audience within Scotland, particularly young people, to appreciate contemporary culture. Cryptic, established by Artistic Director Cathie Boyd in 1994, has produced award-winning work in more than 18 countries.
As a solution to the need for a regular, supportive platform for emerging artists with fresh ideas, Cryptic launched Cryptic Nights in 2009 and since then has presented 116 artists. Cryptic Nights supports an ever expanding diversity of new ideas, recent highlights have included: Josh Armstrong, Oliver Coates, Anna Meredith, Robbie Thomson and Sven Werner.
Cryptic Nights aims to present projects which dynamically engage audiences beyond the traditional art forms with a Cryptic edge by:
- Presenting innovative high quality multi-media work which crosses boundaries;
- Supporting emerging artists’ artistic development;
- Giving the opportunity for audiences to see engaging work they would not usually have an opportunity to experience.
General Eligibility Information
Preference will be given to emerging artists working in any art form. The project should have a contemporary feel and should be new work or a restaging of a work which has since been developed.
What Cryptic Nights Offers Artists:
- A guaranteed fee with support and advice to give them confidence to be creative;
- A performance platform for their work supported by an experienced arts organisation;
- Venue and full technical support free of charge;
- PR and marketing support free of charge;
- A free media pack including programme, press coverage and documentation of their event;
- An opportunity to build a new audience and increase their profile;
- Free entry to attend other Cryptic Nights throughout the year and networking opportunities.
Each artist will work within the technical resources of host venues as available and agreed with Cryptic (please refer to CCA tech spec). Most Cryptic Nights take place at CCA however we are also interested in promoting site specific work.
Cryptic Nights will be promoted by Cryptic and host venues as appropriate. A marketing pack will be collated for all featured artists and Cryptic will arrange for a photographer to document your work.
We cannot fund the creation of work. We can only offer a fee and marketing and production support.
Applications can be submitted by email as an attachment to the e-mail address below.
Applicants must submit two hard copies of all visual and or audio documentation of their work to the postal address below.
Should you wish to have any materials returned please enclose a SAE, otherwise no materials will be returned.
Announcement of successful applicants will be within nine weeks of the submission deadline.