The Keyholder Residency Program offers emerging artists free 24-hour access to printmaking facilities to develop new work and foster their artistic careers. Residencies are free and one year long, starting on April 1st and October 1st each year, and they take place in the shared Artists’ Studio, including the solvent/etching area and the darkroom.
Keyholders work independently, in a productive atmosphere alongside other contemporary artists. Artists from all disciplines are eligible to apply; print-making skills are not required, but some familiarity with the medium is recommended. Basic instruction in printmaking techniques is available for new Keyholders. Technical assistance is not included in the program, but is available at additional cost.
Participation is limited and competitive. Applications are evaluated by a rotating committee of artists, critics, curators, and art professionals based on the quality of submitted artwork. A total of 11 artists are awarded the residency annually. Artists based in the New York City area and without access to a studio space are encouraged to apply.
Keyholder Residency includes:
• 24-hour shared studio access
• $1,000 stipend
• storage space
• basic supplies (newsprint, blotters, solvents, cleaners)
• one free class in printmaking and consultations with Master Printers
• 20% discount on all Printshop classes
• free career development workshops
• free digital documentation of selected works produced during the residency
• inclusion in the Printshop´s permanent collection
• opportunities to show new work in exhibitions and other public events presented by the Printshop